Pages

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Of Kidnappers, Korean treats, and Kake

Ok, so it's actually about cake, not kake, but the other things started with a K so I thought I'd just keep going.

Last week we had just finished family home evening when there was a knock at the door. I looked like crap so I asked Quinn if he'd get it. He had a funny smile on his face, but he went and looked out the peep hole and then said, "I think it's for you, hon!" So I opened the door and there stood some of my close friends from our last ward. "Hi!! Um...what are you guys doing??" was all I could think of to say. They had come to kidnap me for an early birthday night out with just the girls (they planned to come late so everyone's husbands could just put the kids to bed). Wow, how nice and how fun! They took me to Shilla, a Korean bakery and we had Korean shaved ice and Boba smoothies. Yuuumm! That's something I really love about living out here, is that there's just about every kind of food from every country you can think of, right at your finger tips. Anyway, it was so fun and relaxing to just hang out and talk and laugh together about our lives. I love my friends so much.


On my actual birthday we had a bunch of friends over for cake and ice cream. Quinn and a couple of our friends had tried doing something as a surprise for me but I kept ruining their plans by asking too many questions (it's hard surprising somebody with OCD who has to try and plan every detail of her life a week or so in advance). Martha Stewart (aka Minsun) made a Boston Cream Pie cake, Tiffany brought brownies, and Pauline's mother-in-law who is here from Texas for when their baby comes, made a yummy Philippino dessert (the name of which I can't remember). I made a chocolate cake recipe from a family friend, the Bishoffs, that I'd been craving. I tried a new frosting recipe and it turned out gross -- it tasted like a mouthful of butter with every bite of cake. Oh well, good thing there were other treats to enjoy! And I had fun making the chocolate shavings on the top, so...that's always good.


It was a fun night and a memorable birthday.






The best part of my birthday was that Quinn and Caitlyn love me. :)

2 comments:

  1. Ahh, so cute. :) Glad you had a great birthday party. As an adult I don't think I have EVER thought of inviting friends over for my birthday...maybe I'll have to try that this year??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha!!! Happy Birthday!!!! How's that baby in your belly doing?????

    ReplyDelete